BOOK SIGNING FOR THE PBS FUNDRAISER AT THE LAS VEGAS' MOB MUSEUM




October 27, 2015   Tuesday

What a fun experience my first book signing was two days ago. It was held in the gangster atmosphere of the Mob Museum in Las Vegas. My signing was part of a PBS' fundraising event that featured a special crime mystery who-done-it show production. I am appreciative to PBS for promoting 30 Illegal Years To The Strip because PBS is the TV network that is most concerned with historical authenticity.

Go Miss Marple. A photo of  this featured character in the Masterpiece Mysteries series highlighted the PBS publicity release about my upcoming book signing that the station sent out to its supporters. This brought in many old-time Las Vegans, who kept me occupied at my table throughout the show and long afterwards talking about the early years of Las Vegas that we all remember. One retired businessman brought up our first meeting in 1967, when I was just beginning my historical research. Quite an experience reminiscing with someone about an encounter a half-century ago. I was glad to contribute to this community effort and to donate my book-sale royalties to this important network.

By the way, I am a big fan of PBS' Lawrence Welk show because its extraordinary musicians perform the big-band versions of the hits of my youth, including that era's favorite songs from cultures around the world.




Here I am greeting the supporters of PBS, as they entered and left the Mob Museum's event room. I am sitting under a large photo of Ben Siegel's girlfriend, Virginia Hill, with a display of my books and flyers in front of me.